Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Philadelphia Marathon

On Saturday, we flew to Philadelphia & went to the marathon expo:
Marathon Day was Sunday with a 7:00 am start. Great weather (50's & no rain); great course; & great company! Our best marathon to date :) I was very impressed with Philadelphia - very cool city. It was never on my radar, but it is now. I can't wait to go back!
me & Chris after the race!

Super happy with my performance, as I had been struggling with my training. That darn Lyme disease! We ran 20 seconds a mile faster than our best marathon - woo hoo! And we felt strong through out - even better. First consistent race!! And my quads weren't too sore. Chris' were a little - but not as bad as previous marathons. I think we still had some in the tank...
The first 13 miles of the marathon went through the downtown sections & around Independence park. Then we ran out past the zoo & along the Schuylkill river for the last 13 miles - very scenic. Great crowd support as well. The Philly marathon is highly recommended by us!!

Medals & Bib #'s
So after we got cleaned up, we headed out to see the city! I was planning a short walking trip this time - nothing like our D.C. adventure. Mainly because I was flying out that night & I didn't have the time :(

Fortunately, our hotel was very close to Independence Hall & Park

We didn't take time to visit the Liberty Bell - the line was too long.
Steph in front of Independence Hall (where they signed the Declaration of Independence, I think...) Our trip to Philly was very quick, and my history was lacking.
and Chris in front of the Hall

Independence Park; Hall; Old City Hall


Then we found a great pub: Rotten Ralph's. These beers saved our lives!


Then we went back to our hotel room to relax a bit & watch the final laps of the Nascar race. Final race of the season & Jimmie Johnson pulled out another championship! 5 in a row!


Then I dragged Chris out again for a 30 minute walk around the downtown area, before I headed to the airport. (Chris was staying for business meeting)

Lots of cool architecture in Philadelphia. I liked it a lot! The mall area where we started the marathon was super cool too. I just didn't get back there to get any pictures. It's very similar to Washington D.C. Loved it!!





No comments:

Post a Comment