Monday, February 13, 2012

Sailing lessons, anyone?

I've been spending a lot of time at the Bristol Yacht Club. A couple years ago, I was asked to be on the Audit Committee. "Sure, why not, they only meet a couple times a year" Then a couple months ago, I told my friend that I would join her House Committee (because I thought we only meet a couple times a year, when the House needed some minor repairs...). Then I was asked to be Treasurer of our junior sailing program (adult sailing lessons are part of this as well). This position I knew would be a little more time consuming, but my husband and another friend convinced me it would be good practice. All positions are volunteer, of course.

All of a sudden, the audit committee is meeting much more often, the house committee is meeting every month, and the Treasurer responsibilities are stressing me out! My personal email account is flooded with BYC emails x 10 due to the committee member responses to each email. I have a half marathon race coming up, but I'm having trouble locating the email, since it's buried between 'Refrigerator'; 'BYC financial'; and 'tax exemption' emails. I have to drive to the accounting office for the sailing program every week and sign checks... I would say that I have bitten off a little too much! I am hoping that it will all start to fall into a nice rhythm soon.

I am excited to help with the sailing program though. I will learn so much, and can't wait until this summer when I can see the kids in action. The program has been around for many years and does run smoothly. I am also planning on taking one of the adult sailing classes. They offer beginner, intermediate, and advanced. See you on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment