Monday, November 2, 2015

Ironman Maryland!

Ironman Maryland was scheduled for October 3rd, but Hurricane Joaquin decided to make an appearance that weekend, so the race was postponed (first time in IM history) to October 17th.  Fortunately IM officials made the announcement early enough, so Chris & I hadn't started our trip yet, whew!  Of course, I had already tapered for 2 weeks- so how to train over the next 2 weeks??  Chris had decided soon after Ironman Lake Placid that he wasn't going to race IM Maryland.  His work schedule was too hectic.  I wasn't really interested in racing either - but I put the work in (kinda), so I decided to go ahead and race.


 IM made a few concesssions for the athletes - usually for a Saturday race, you have to check in by Thursday.  This time, they let us check in on Friday.  So Chris & I drove 8 hours on Friday to Ironman village - checked in (he was going to do the swim at least since it was paid for); and dropped off our gear.  Fast & Furious!
 The village was kind of subdued.  Not many people (only 1400 athletes out of 2500 were racing, the rest picked another race or cancelled) and the excitement level was low.

 We put our bags together in the back of the truck.  We usually do it in our hotel room, but we hadn't checked in yet  - ha!~
 Bike drop off
 Bike & Run gear bag drop off
 Swim course!  nice and calm
 I wasn't mentally prepared for this race.  I just went through the motions during training, and wasn't too interested in the race.  Race morning - cold (mid 40's) with 15-30 mph winds.  Fun (not)!  They postponed the swim and shortened it from 4000 meters to 3000 meters due to the chop.  The water temp was chilly, but not cold - mid 60's.  IT was cold waiting for the race to start though.  We kept thinking we should just drop out and go get a cup of coffee.  If we hadn't driving 8 hours, and missed our favorite car show of the season (Gathering of the Faithful) for the darn race, I would have gladly left!
 Chris & I both had good swims - the chop doesn't bother us too much - makes it more interesting.  Chris did his own run after his swim.  I had to head out on the bike -for 112 miles - after I put on gloves, arm warmers, and a coat.  Yuck!  This is not how I want to race.  The bike ride was windy, so a lot slower than last year.  Chris didn't make it out to the bike course ,since it was out of town.  But I did see him on the run a lot.  He took good pictures, so I don't have to buy the IM ones. I ran the run, but it was hard.  Windy, cold, depressing.  Ugh.  I wanted to walk from mile 1, but I kept going.  It definitely wasn't fast - but I did it.
 Even after the sun went down, the wind kept blowing!~
 Finish line!  I was so happy to be here!  I didn't enjoy the day at all - I just wanted it to be over - and it finally was!

 Good volunteers
 Picture time
 I bundled up after the race.  And Chris took some more good pictures.  I was so happy to be done.  I really didn't enjoy the day at all.  And I knew it was going to be my last one for a long time (that still didn't make me appreciate it)  I just didn't like being cold all day.
 My legs were sore the next few days, and I coughed all night after the race (fortunately that went away the next day).  No plans to do another triathlon for a while.  I need a nice break since I have lost some interest.


No comments:

Post a Comment